1. Be considerate This includes IC and OOC. Please be courteous to your fellow players, and try to resolve any conflict politely. Bullying and harassment are taken seriously, and are not permitted at all. Don't godmode (take control of another player's character without permission), or infomod (allow OOC knowledge to become IC knowledge unrealistically).
2. OOC =/= IC Just because a character is rude or offensive, does not mean the player shares those views. Please try to keep IC and OOC separate.
3. ICA = ICC In Character Actions = In Character Consequences. Feel free to make a stir with your character, but please be prepared for consequences from the NPCs or other characters.
4. This is a panfandom game We accept canon characters and OCs, we also allow previous game memories to be retained. We do not allow AUs, fandom OCs, or duplicates. This does not apply to canon AUs which are sufficiently different to one another (for example: Mickey Mouse from Kingdom Hearts and Mickey from the Disney cartoons). If in doubt, please ask.
5. Please be aware of the activity requirements Each AC period will last from the first of the month until the last day of the month. An AC post will go up in the OOC community on the first, where all players will be required to submit proof of their activity from the previous month. Activity can be either of the following:
One post or log AND a thread of five comments or more. OR Three threads totalling thirty comments or more.
Failure to comment to the AC post or provide sufficient AC will result in being removed from the game. You are free to re-apply for an ejected character; but to be fair to other applicants, you must wait a month before doing so.
6. How's My Driving? A bi-monthly game-wide HMD post will be posted in the OOC community. While it is not mandatory to participate, it is strongly encouraged. Anonymous will be enabled, but moderators will be monitoring the post for any signs of hostility or bullying.
7. Explicit Content Haven is a horror game, and will often deal with disturbing and graphic themes. Any extremely explicit content posted by players (sexual, violent, etc) must be placed under a cut and warned for.
8. The moderators are here to help If you have a problem or complaint that needs to be dealt with by the moderators, please do get in contact. You can use the anonymous-enabled concerns post, or use the information on the mod contact page.
9. Time Zones In the effort to be considerate to multiple time zones, all events and important posts (activity check, etc) will go up around 7pm EST.
10. Tags Each character will receive their own tag created by the moderators, this tag should be used when your character is both the original poster of the entry and when they tag into a post. There are also tags for each important location, free to use for all posts.
11. Communities Haven may use the main community and logs community a little differently to other games. A guide on how to use them can be found here.
12. Breaking the Rules Breaking the rules will result in a strike being placed against you, any player receiving their third strike will be removed from the game. However, any instances of plagiarism or harassment will be cause for an immediate ban.
So what sort of game is this, and how does my character end up here? Haven is a horror game, and will compromise of predominantly plot-based horror events. Characters wake up in an apartment one day, it's a mystery how! For more information, please see the premise and setting.
What sort of characters are allowed in Haven? Haven allows canon characters from any published medium, as well as OCs and canon AUs. A canon AU is a different version of the same character within the published canon, a canon AU must be sufficiently different from the original canon character to be accepted (e.g. Mickey Mouse in Kingdom Hearts and in the Disney cartoons). The rule is intended for the same character in completely different canons. For example, the KH/Disney one stated, or Quasimodo in Disney's Hunchback and the live action film 'Quasimodo'. We do not accept fan-made AUs, two versions of the same character (anime and manga, for example) or canon OCs. Characters are also allowed to bring in previous game memories, if they should choose to do so. However, powers gained in previous games (additional to canon powers) will not carry over to Haven.
Do my characters have their powers? Yes, but these may be liable to be taken away during some events.
My character has a pet and/or summons, can they come? Ordinary pets can't come. If a summons is the result of a personal ability (example: Final Fantasy), then they are allowed. Pokemon trainers can have two inhabited pokeballs with them on arrival.
I want to apply for a giant mecha/animal/six-armed alien. Go for it! All character types are welcome here, and there's no need to humanize them. The only alteration is for characters over 15 feet tall, they must be shrunk to under that height. Child characters are allowed in Haven; however, applicants may be asked to justify how they will fit within the setting, this is especially true for characters under eight who will usually be considered too young for the themes of the game. For characters whose physical age does not match their mental age, or for characters of a race/species that ages differently for humans, that will be taken into account.
How do our characters communicate? Each character wakes up with a battered cell phone that is capable of both voice and video, though not text. Conference calls to several people or the whole game are permitted. As for how they all speak the same language... it's a mystery!
Why are there no books or written materials? That's one of the mysteries of the game...
But surely there is text display on the phone to list contacts? No. The phone automatically updates as people leave and arrive, showing a picture instead of their name. Caller ID functions as a picture of the person calling, not their name.
Is there a record function on the network? I.e. can my character look back over past calls? No, afraid not.
What happens if my character writes something themselves? The writing will last for thirty minutes and then vanish.
My character wants to destroy a building/blow something up, can I? Go for it! But be warned, things are watching... If you want to cause damage to one of the important locations or hurt NPCs, please run it by a mod first.
What stops my character leaving this town? Nothing, theoretically. But any attempt to leave the town will bring the characters against an invisible barrier that extends right around the town, and is impossible to fly over.
What happens if my character dies? Following the event of September 2014, death is currently semi-permanent. What this means is that if your character dies, you have a choice between dropping them from the game, or leaving them dead until the next application round and then soft-resetting them (this means they will be as if fresh from canon).
My character is injured/ill, do they keep this? Any old injuries (like an old football knee strain) or disabilities remain as they are. Any life threatening illness or injuries sustained immediately before arrival will be healed, this is to stop characters arriving and being unable to do anything at first.
Can I bring in any items or weapons? Your character may arrive with up to three items, these may include weapons or personal items. However, please be sensible about this. Guns and a photograph of loved ones is okay, a rocket launcher or a car is not.
Can I bring in a book or ID? Of course! But these items will be wiped clean of any writing. Books with blank pages, dog-tags with no ID number, etc.
Where do our characters live? On acceptance to the game, each character will be assigned an apartment within the housing spiral, you can see where others are living here!
I want to canon update my character, can I? Yes, but it must be run past a mod first. The character will enter a coma-like state for 24 hours and then wake up updated. They will remember going home and spending time there again. Just go here and fill in the form.
I'm interested in learning more about the NPCs, different location, and plot so far. Is there information on this? Yes! Important locations can be found here, NPC information can be found here, and the plot so far can be found here.
Is there a schedule of events? Look right over this way!
I heard the date IC is not the same as the date OOC, is this true? Yes, it is! The characters (and players) only discovered this after over a year of gameplay (in October 2013). A calendar has been provided over here where you can instantly compare the date OOC to the date IC.
Is this game based on any game/movie/anime that I might know? No. It takes inspiration from Silent Hill, Uzumaki and The Shining, among others.
What are you looking for in applications? Personality and samples are the most important bits! Please see the application post for more details.
Do you have test drive memes? We have a permanently open test drive community at haventest where any potential player is welcome to post.
How many characters can I have? The character limit is six, with a maximum of two from the same canon.
How do reserves and applications work? Reserves open on the third Friday of a month and close on the second Sunday of the following month, you can reserve two characters at a time and the reserve will last until the second Sunday of a month. Applications open on the second Friday of a month and are processed on the third Friday of a month. Once a character is accepted, there will be a mass intro log the following day (Saturday). App challenges are not allowed, nor are extensions on reserves. Please see the application post for more details.
What is this intro mingle? The intro mingle log is a place where all new characters must join the game, and is posted the day after applications are processed. The post contains options for action and network segments to provide choice.
I want to go on hiatus, am I exempt from AC? That depends on how long your hiatus is, please see the hiatus post for more details.
I want to pick up a previously dropped character, can I? Of course! When characters are dropped, they simply disappear from Haven.
What happens if a post goes over 5000 comments? This is a recent addition as this has happened a few times and we've hit CAPTCHA. If a post goes over 5000 comments and there is a thread you want to continue, just head on over to this overflow post.
I have more questions! We have a Nitpicker's Guide to Haven with much more information, which is kept updated as the game changes. A summary of the questions and answers already asked on this page has been compiled in an easy to search database here so please peruse both of these, and if you can't find the answer you're looking for then please feel free to ask them here, or friend the mod on plurk at yoohoohoo